Friday, July 03, 2009

Email from Mr. Ma summarizing a 40-year history

Dear All,

I can still remember the phone call I first received from Cheng Kai Ming years back ( likely in the 80's ) to tell that there was a TPS64 gathering and ask if I would like to join. In this way I got back to line. Thereafter phone calls of similar nature from Sau Wah, Stephen and Tomson followed. And I take this opportunity, in response to Nainai's email below, to thank them all.

I was 24 when you were about 12 in 6A. Being your senior by about 12 years, I'm in a position to further stress to you that you should make hay while the sun still shines high. Though too much an old saying, it's very true. My sun is getting much lower because of the 12 years span. I can now feel clearer than anytime before that the decline in physique can actually be measured by year, ie, last year I could do this, but this year not any more. In 1999 when I first retired and visited Vancouver, I chose to walk, together with my wife, all the way from the UBC campus to Yale town where I stayed, just to get a better feel of the beautiful city. It was at least a 3-hour walk. If at that time I knew that Au Wing Yee worked in UBC I would certainly have gone up to her to say hello ( I told her this in our subsequent email exchanges ). But now 10 years later while I could still do the 3-hour walk I don't think I could stand the long flight. Likewise, much as I would have wished to revisit LA where I had stayed for 3 months to do a project in 1981, 28 years back, the opportunity is now lost to me due to physical limitations. Despite that Alexander had so kindly offered to be the LA host. And I wish to thank him here again for being so nice to me. His English teacher for only 1 year in his 5A. All this is to echo Nai nai's point of seeing more of each other when you can. And go places when you can.

Knowing the value of good health, I now exercise for 2 hours a day on average. Comprising swimming, brisk walking, and general body moving exercises. These activities, plus the needed cleaning up and reading newspapers after breakfast already take up 1/2 a day. There then leaves only 1/2 a day for other pursuits. And so a retirement life can also be very busy. And not unmeaningful. As there is an aim, which is to keep as fit as possible.

Thanks to Nainai's and Alexander's special mention of me in association with the Aug/Sept gathering. Much appreciated. I'll try my best.

Best wishes to you all.

KW Ma

No comments: